Sunday, February 14, 2010

Roast tomatoes and sausage

Those cute little tomatoes I mentioned last weekend? This is what I like to do with them. In February. When we're months away from cute little FRESH tomatoes. 

It's a very complicated recipe, so pay close attention. 

I take a bag of frozen tomatoes out of the freezer. I dump them into a baking pan. I cut up some really good italian sausage and throw them in. I drizzle some really good olive oil over top and sprinkle the whole thing with salt and pepper. I add some whole cloves of garlic. I don't even peel them. Garlic is really mild when it's roasted so don't panic. Your friends will still want to hang out with you. 
 If the sausage is hot I'm done. If the sausage is mild I sprinkle a few pepper flakes over top. 
 Then I give it a good stir before the tomatoes thaw. That way they don't get beat up. They stay whole and cook that way.  


This is what it looks like before it goes in the oven. 



I let it sit out for a bit to let the tomatoes thaw for a bit and then I throw it in the oven at 350 degrees until it's done - about an hour or a bit more depending on how much I've made and how thawed out the tomatoes are. 
I serve it with mashed potatoes (which I make with buttermilk instead of milk or cream - which tastes great if I do say so myself)
It looks gorgeous...but I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  I tend to have a one track mind when food's ready - EAT.  

No comments:

Post a Comment